Visa & Residence

Artists wishing to live and work in Austria should be aware of two requirements. First, they need a residence and/or settlement permit, and second, they need a work permit (linked to the residence permit).

The different residence titles are closely tied to the (intended) forms of employment. Partly, there is a one-stop process in place, meaning that when you apply for a residence title, the competent authorities (district administration or municipal administration and the PES) will work together. The residence title will then also include a (limited) work permit. EEA/EU citizens and Swiss nationals benefit from considerably simplified rules.