Does the application for a residence title have to be filed personally?

As a general rule, applications for the issue or extension of a residence title must be filed personally; depending on the type of residence title applied for (e.g. “residence permitartist”) the relevant documents must be enclosed to the application form in their original and as a copy (see General information on documents).

For self-employed artists, the application may also be filed by the employer in Austria.

Residence titles will be handed out only personally and must be collected personally in Austria (both for first-time applications as well as with applications for an extension) (on the procedure see also What is the procedure?).


  • For third-country nationals who do not have capacity to act, the application must be filed by their legal representative.
  • Residence titles for under-age minors (under 14) may only be handed out to their legal representatives.
  • Residence titles to minors having reached the age of consent (older than 14 years) may only be handed out personally.

Residence titles are issued in the form of a card. When a residence title is extended, a new card is issued.