General documents required to apply for a residence title

  • Application: an application form may but need to be used. The application must be signed personally before the authority.
  • Exception: If gainful employment is intended, the application may also be filed by the employer in Austria.

Applications forms are available in German only and can be downloaded from the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior at;

Generally required documents 

  • A valid travel document;

The website of the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs provides information as to which documents are accepted as travel documents. See further information here.

  • Certificate of birth or equivalent (only for first-time applications);
  • Photograph of the applicant;
  • As appropriate: certificate of marriage, divorce order, certificate of registered partnership, certificate on the dissolution of a registered partnership, adoption certificate, evidence or certificate on the degree of relationship;
  • Evidence of legal title to customary accommodation, in particular lease or sub-lease, preliminary lease agreements, title of ownership;
  • Proof of comprehensive all-risk health insurance that will pay out benefits in Austria, especially the insurance policy, unless mandatory statutory insurance is or will be applicable;
  • Proof of secure livelihood, in particular by wage slip, wage confirmations, service contracts, preliminary employment contracts, confirmations on pension, annuity or other insurance benefits, statement on capital investments, proof of a sufficient amount of own assets, or declaration of liability.