Which documents must be presented when applying for a visa?

Visa C (travel visa)

  • A fully completed and personally signed application form (visa application forms are available for download on the website of the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs; http://www.bmeia.gv.at/fileadmin/user_upload/Allgemein/Formulare/Formular_C_-_Schengenvisum.pdf);
  • A passport photograph satisfying the ICAO criteria (colour, 35x45 mm);
  • A valid passport (its validity should exceed the validity of the visa to be issued by at least 3 months; it should have at least 2 empty pages and should not be older than 10 years);
  • Proof of sufficient resources or an electronic statement of commitment (see When is a statement of commitment required and what does it cover?);
  • Proof of means of transport (e.g. flight booking) and other documentary evidence (hotel reservations, invitation letters, booking documents, etc., proof of valid employment…). These proofs may vary locally, since they are adapted to local standards and coordinated with other Schengen representations. Invitation letters, while not being standardised, must as a minimum requirement state the purpose and length of stay and contain information on accommodation as appropriate.
  • Travel health insurance (sum insured of at least EUR 30,000) valid for the entire Schengen area; close relatives of EU citizens enjoying the right to free movement are exempted from this requirement;
  • Driving licence, green insurance card, vehicle approval certificate for travel by car.

Visa D or visa C for temporary work

  • For self-employed artistic activity, training certificates, earlier engagements as well as contracts of engagement or contracts with galleries etc. must be presented in addition to the above documents. For employment, an employment permit is required.
  • Unless exempted, visa fees in the amount of EUR 60 for a visa C and EUR 100 for a visa D are payable.
  • The following groups of persons are exempted from the payment of visa fees:
    1. Children under the age of six years;
    2. Pupils, students, participants in postgraduate study courses and accompanying teachers wishing to enter to take part in study or training programmes;
    3. Researchers of third countries within the meaning of the Recommendation 2005/761/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28 September 2005 to facilitate the issue by the Member States of uniform short-stay visas for researchers from third countries travelling within the Community for the purpose of carrying out scientific research;
    4. Representatives of non-profit organisations up to 25 years of age attending seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations.
  • Persons up to the age of 25 years attending seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations may also be exempted from visa fees. The decision to grant an exemption from the visa fee is at the discretion of the representation.

The visa fee is a non-refundable handling fee that will not be reimbursed even if the visa application is rejected.

Depending on the facts of the case, different documents may be required. Please inform yourself about any special local requirements on the websites of the Austrian representations concerned.