Who is responsible for issuing a visa?

Visa applications are handled by the competent Austrian representations abroad. In countries where there is no Austrian embassy or general consulate, of where these are remote, the representations of other Schengen states may act for Austria in handling visa applications, i.e. visa of the categories A or C (travel visa) may also be applied for with the representation of another Schengen state. D and C visa for temporary work must, however, always be applied for with an Austrian representation. The link below to the homepage of the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs provides all necessary information, in particular as to the representations which have competence to issue endorsements.

Many representations offer appointment services to avoid queues. Appointments can often be fixed by internet via the websites of the representation, by telephone, or personally on-site. For further information consult the websites of the representations in question. As a further service, visa applications may be handed in with service-providers commissioned by the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs in selected regions. For further details, consult the embassy websites. A visa application can be filed with the competent representation not earlier than 3 months before the planned start of travel and not later than 15 calendar days before the planned stay. Ideally, the application should be filed as soon as the travel arrangements are known (travel dates, required documents etc.).